Saturday, September 25, 2010

Happiness is…

A couple of weekends ago, Alice, the Human Male, and I decided to have breakfast at Founders Park in Old Town, one of my very favorite places in the world. 

 

The thing that I love most about Founders Park is that it’s everyone’s park.  Every person that walks by, every bench they sit on, every spot on the lawn where they throw a blanket, is theirs.  And yours.  I don’t know quite how to express it in words, but if you ever end up there, you’ll understand.  It belongs to everyone.

 

That feeling isn’t limited to people.  As The Human Male and I sat on our regular bench, we noticed a black lab that was play in the grass behind us.  His owner had let him off his leash (while not fenced in, it’s considered the “dog” part of the park) and he was playing in the sprinklers.  He bounced through them, tried to bite the water stream, and rolled around on the soppy ground.

 

I can’t think of the last time I saw such pure joy.

 

101 

102

3 comments:

the teacher's pets said...

One of the things I love about dogs is that they are unafraid of showing their delight over the little things, such as sprinklers, and they will play joyfully without caring what anyone thinks of them. I love watching dogs play in sprinklers and I can see why you were so entertained!

Mr. Puggle® said...

happy happy joy joy. life is good.

Ariel said...

Awww! how cute Alice. I like to do this too. I also like to hang my head out the car window and try and catch rain drops. This pup looks like he was having a fun time. <3